We are currently recruiting for:
Wildlife Officer Placements - North-East Atlantic (English Channel & Bay of Biscay)
Working in collaboration with Brittany Ferries, ORCA is proud to offer Wildlife Officer Placements this summer. This four week residential course (at sea) provides a fantastic opportunity for passionate, outgoing people with an interest in marine conservation to work alongside our Wildlife Officers; supporting them carry out vital research and monitoring in the understudied offshore marine environment and promoting wildlife watching and conservation through educational activities to passengers.
Supervised by our trained Wildlife Officers, Placement attendees can expect to be fully immersed in the day to day timetable of activities on board and after four weeks can expect to have gained:
Ship based Wildlife Officer experience:
- Marine mammal identification and offshore survey experience
- Hands on environmental education training (formal and informal)
- Customer service skills development (including presentation skills to often large audiences)
- Experience living and working as a member of the crew on a commercial offshore vessel
- Vital workplace experience for a career in marine conservation/education
North-East Atlantic (English Channel & Bay of Biscay): Portsmouth (UK) ⇒ Santander (Spain)
The 2018 Wildlife Officer Placements are £695 which includes:
- Accommodation (shared same sex cabin with Wildlife Officer) and food whilst onboard for four weeks
- ORCA branded merchandise pack including hat and t-shirt
- Free place on an Marine Mammal Surveyor course (no cash alternative offered)
- Formal and informal training by Wildlife Officers
Wildlife Officer Placement Available Dates:
Due to limited spaces the Wildlife Officer Placements are generally oversubscribed. Prospective course attendees will be required submit an application form and may be asked to attend an interview (in person or by skype).
Dates for the Wildlife Officer Placements for 2018 are as follows:
- 27th June – 25th July 2018
- 25th July – 22nd August 2018
- 22nd August – 19th September 2018
Please note that due to cabin availability you will be sharing a cabin with the Wildlife Officer for the duration of the placement. Therefore, unfortunately we can only accept female applicants for the 2018 North-East Atlantic placements.
How to apply:
To apply, please read the below Wildlife Officer Placement Description and send a completed application form (below), along with your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Wildlife Officer Placement 2018' as the email subject. The closing date is 9am on the 5th March 2018. Interviews are scheduled to take place the week commencing 19th March 2018.
If you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date, please presume that your application has been unsuccessful. Please note that no discourtesy is intended by this practice and we do not offer feedback at this stage.
For more conservation jobs, please visit: